Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Death of Television

When I reached home from a long day at work this evening was greeted by my wife with a message that our three and half year old son managed to break our TV one more time. Phew couldn’t hold myself but then within seconds I realized there is no point in giving any sort of punishment to the little star of our lives

Introspection made me feel that deep down we as parents are to be blamed for this. If I need to articulate it - unlike back home we live in a nuclear family, we do interact with neighbors but quite limited, we have never ventured to our friends home uninvited and thus making our son less socially active and also with very little avenues to channel his extremely high energy levels. Visit to parks is limited only over the weekends and his outdoor is restricted under parental supervision for fear of traffic outside our building

There is no play for him once he is back from his kindergarten he is attended by our domestic help who obviously is clinical. Cannot expect anything beyond her role of ensuring he is received from his school bus and he has his quota of food. If he decides to sleep then so be it

What really touched me is the explanation my boy gave me. He was watching Lion king and he was sad on Papa Lion being hurt and killed by a herd of wild buffalos and hence he took his play hammer and punished them.

I felt the home went silent but also loved it because we will have no more avenues but turn to him for our entertainment and also focus on him and educate him and play with him

Though his act will make an impact on my wallet I am glad we will have more time with our little star

Amen

1 comment:

  1. Your lil wonder seems to be a handful for both your spouse and yourself but itz always good to have a brat to make the house lively...though the damage is a lil costly!!

    ReplyDelete